6 Ways To Stay Connected To Nature Even If You Are Socially Distancing
April 08, 2020
Even under the present circumstances of social distancing due to COVID-19, it’s important to find ways to celebrate and enjoy your small rituals of appreciation. Earth Month is important to us at DōMatcha®. We care deeply for the natural world and that reflects throughout our production and distribution process. At this stressful time, we want to offer you some ways to celebrate Earth Month with us and stay connected to nature even if you are socially distancing or self-isolating!
- Plant seeds – it’s a good time to look through your drawers and put out some seeds! It’s a great exercise to see growth and progress in little plants. Wildflower seeds are perfect if you have an empty planter or garden bed – they’re low maintenance and you can be surprised by the beautiful and simple array of blossoms.
- Open your windows – if you’re in a warm enough area that you aren’t heating your home, or can turn off the heat for an afternoon, open a window to listen to the bird song, connect with the weather, smell the flowers, and clear the stuffy air out! If you’re staying home during the day, this is a great way to keep your rooms fresh.
- Earthing – earthing, or grounding, is when you walk on the earth or grass with bare feet. Connecting with the earth this way and the feeling of your bare feet against the ground, can help you feel connected and relaxed, and is a great starting pose for meditation. If you have a safe space like a backyard to practice earthing, give it a try!
- Nature art – when you’re staying inside is the perfect time to get creative. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t a practiced artist, or what the final result looks like, but engaging in creative flow is great for your mental health.
- Nourishing food – keeping yourself healthy and eating delicious, plant-based whole foods is more important than ever when you’re stressed and stuck inside. If you have extra time, you can experiment with a new recipe or take your time to cook something special. There is always the option to add DōMatcha® to your recipes – we like using it in savoury sauces like miso gravy or adding it to baked goods. Find some ideas from our downloadable recipe book!
- Repurposing containers like DōMatcha® tins – a great way to show your appreciation for the Earth is to figure out different uses and second lives for things you’d otherwise recycle, or even that you’d throw away! We take pride in our tins: upon receipt, they are vacuum-sealed with a pull-tab and food-safe bag, so that the matcha you receive is as fresh and green as the day it was ground, with the maximum nutritional value we can offer. At DōMatcha®, we drink a lot of matcha, so we’ve come up with some creative ways to re-use our tins, after carefully washing them and removing the labels!
- Containers for custom spice mixes
- Candleholders – you can even make your own candles and pour the wax directly into the tin for a custom candle!
- Organizers – the tins make great organizers for jewelry, odds and ends, hair pins, screws and nails, craft supplies, or office supplies.
- Homemade bath salts – if you have a few tins lying around, making a batch of homemade bath salts with essential oils is a great option for party favours, or even Christmas presents!
Thanks for joining us on this moment of appreciation for Earth Month. Although there are difficult times at the moment, practicing gratitude for what we do have and are able to do for ourselves and others will help us get through this challenge. Celebrating the Earth and Nature is something we can do to uplift ourselves any time, any place! Drop a comment and let us know how you’re celebrating Earth Month this year!