New year, new goals – we get it, it’s an exciting time. This bursting rush to set high targets after a period of quiet winter slumber is common to us all. Even though the holiday bells have long subsided, the frosty chill and dark clouds of winter still follow us around like a lost cat. If your goal is to feel more vitalized and refreshed to tackle your New Year resolutions, perhaps give matcha tea powder a try. Many of us irreverently become caffeine-dependent amidst our hurricane schedules. Matcha tea powder is something soothing and nutritious to sip on any season of the year and doesn’t warrant the same caffeine crash as coffee. In fact, taking a break from high doses of caffeine can help us feel less anxious and nervous, and aid in our sleep health. Here are a few tips to combat daytime fatigue so you can crush your New Year's resolutions.
Daytime Fatigue and Winter Blues
Do you find yourself nodding off during the day, or that second cup of coffee just doesn’t cut it anymore? General tiredness and low energy are more common in the winter months. The days are shorter, and it gets dark fast! You might find that the more you try to combat this with coffee, the less effective it becomes over time. Instead of going completely cold turkey on coffee, and suffering withdrawal symptoms, why not try switching over to matcha tea powder? Matcha powder yields about a third of the caffeine content of coffee (20-25mg/g) providing a more sustainable solution to your afternoon cravings. It’s also rich in L-theanine, which is a naturally occurring amino acid that increases alpha waves in the brain, inducing a state of calmness. Coffee can often ignite more nervousness in the system, making it harder to focus on tasks especially when you’re already not feeling one hundred percent.
Benefits of Matcha Tea Powder
The benefits of matcha tea powder are plentiful, and many of our customers rely on a daily cup of matcha tea to help them power through their daily routines. You can read about how matcha can enhance your performance here, or boost productivity. The main benefits of matcha tea powder are as follows:
- At a cellular level, consuming matcha tea daily can help protect our cells from free radical damage. Matcha has an ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) value of 1384, which is extraordinarily high compared to other antioxidant-high vegetables and fruits.
- The unique combination of caffeine and L-theanine in matcha can help one achieve a ‘zen’ like state. Both intensely focused and calm (this can be great for athletic or academic performance).
- Pure matcha powder contains no simple sugars; sugar leads to spikes and crashes in blood sugar—and energy.
Other Ways to Combat Daytime Fatigue
- Take 15-minute active breaks: Get up from your desk and go for a brisk walk. A change of scenery and active movement can help increase blood flow to your brain and make you feel more alert. You can use travel packets to quickly make a matcha tea on the go and carry it with you in a thermos.
- Try different variations of matcha: Mix up your matcha routine throughout the day. In the morning, try incorporating Summer Harvest into a balancing matcha smoothie. In the afternoon, reach for decaf matcha to help ensure you get a good night's sleep. Proper sleep is the best way to combat tiredness during the day.
- Be in well-lit environments: Studies have found that employees working in natural light recorded higher levels of energy than those working under artificial lights. Another study revealed that workers achieved 40% higher sales at checkout counters located beneath skylights. These studies confirm that exposure to natural light can improve productivity.
- Prioritize social interaction: Just like ice cream, matcha can taste better shared! Share this energizing ritual with your friends or family members. Invite them to a DIY matcha-tasting Hundreds of studies have confirmed the positive impact of social interaction on physical and mental health.
- Don’t drink caffeine past noon: Stick with decaf matcha or other decaffeinated beverages like water and herbal teas. Drinking caffeine in the afternoon or evening can disrupt your sleep cycle. Ensure you’re getting complete rest to feel energized throughout the day.
How to Prepare the Perfect Cup of Matcha Tea
To prepare your matcha tea, you will need matcha tea powder, a bamboo whisk, a ceremonial matcha bowl, and hot water. Heat the water to 70C/185F. Measure 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of matcha tea powder and place in a ceremonial bowl. Add 2-3oz (60-80ml) of hot water into the ceremonial bowl and whisk vigorously until a light froth appears. Transfer to another cup or enjoy as is. Add more hot water as desired.
Make the Switch to Matcha Tea Powder for Sustainable Energy
If coffee is slowly turning from your office BFF to frenemy, you might want to consider making the switch to energy-friendly matcha. Not only can you sip on more of it without getting the crashes, jitteriness, or irritability associated with coffee, but it’s also an incredibly healthy superfood! Many turn towards matcha for a boost of free radical-fighting antioxidants, and even weight maintenance benefits. If you’re looking for a sustainable way to combat daytime fatigue and simultaneously get health benefits, delicious matcha tea powder may be the answer!
Where Can I Buy Matcha Tea Powder?
Find a selection of the finest matcha tea powder from DoMatcha, which sources 100% Japanese-grown matcha from Uji and Kagoshima, Japan. DoMatcha offers a variety of ceremonial matcha, summer harvest matcha, premium matcha, and even decaf matcha - there’s something for everyone! Not only so, DoMatcha has been in business for 17 years and works with one of the most reputable matcha tea suppliers in Japan, with over 300+ years of experience. Working in tandem with a 16th-generation tea master, each DoMatcha batch is expertly blended to achieve the consistent and desired flavour. Every cup of matcha you have is curated with intention and a nod to tradition. Our goal at DoMatcha is to help our customers experience the way of matcha.